We took the boys to Skinny Bones, a pumpkin patch between Omaha and Blair, on Halloween – followed by hot dogs at Costco (aren’t those the best?!) and then trick-or-treating as Max from “Where the Wild Things Are” and a cuddly shark. Good times!
Our baby turned 7 months old last week. And along with that, he started sitting up on his own and sprouted his first teeth! I haven’t been able to capture any good teeth pictures yet, but I will – those first toothy grins are so adorable!
We finally had our first big snow storm of 2012, and Liam was so excited to get bundled up to go play outside with Daddy! He was quite a trooper and lasted about an hour out there - and was none too excited to come inside for lunch – he could have stayed out there all day, frozen cheeks and all! Note that in the first picture below, Liam is sporting a Hitler-like mustache, courtesy of a tumble down the stairs at school.
Things I will buy during my first trip to the Trader Joe’s in Omaha when it opens on November 12, 2010:
- One (or four) of their fabulous specialty cheeses
- Trader’s Joe’s President’s Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil (these make great gifts, by the way, even if you’re not giving it to a president)
- Organic milk (whole for Liam and 1% for the other two people that live here)
- A loaf of their sandwich bread – SO yummy and affordable
- H-E-E-E-E-RE fishy, fishy, fishy! There’s always some fabulous fish (fresh or frozen) to choose from at TJ’s.
- Possibly some wine (okay…definitely some wine)
- Bao (if you don’t know what a Bao is, then you should Google it – it’s a bun filled with yumminess, like spiced meat or veggies)
- Trader Joe’s Pound Plus 72% Dark Chocolate Bar (perfect for s’mores, cookies, or just sneaking off a small chunk after dinner)
- TJ’s Veggie and Flaxseed Tortilla Chips (don’t be fooled by the word “flaxseed” here – these things rock – even my dad likes them)
- Shallots (because they are super cheap at TJ’s)
- TJ’s Apple Carrot applesauce in a pouch. Liam goes crazy for these things.
And probably a lot more. This is going to be awesome, people, I promise.
Gosh, I’m getting giddy just writing this post! November 12 won’t get here soon enough!
Here are the details for TJ’s Omaha location opening on Friday, November 12:
10305 Pacific St.
Omaha, NE 68114
Trading Hours: 8 am – 9 pm
Phone Number: 402-391-3698
I love summer in Omaha. There is so much to do! Farmers’ markets, festivals, swimming, golfing, biking along one of the many paved trails throughout the city…and on really hot days, if swimming isn’t on the agenda, there are a plethora of interesting – and air-conditioned – museums to check out.
We’ve been busy this month with settling into our new house, but we’ve managed to do some swimming and check out a festival or two. Here are some shots of Dave and Liam at the Santa Lucia Festival from last weekend, and at the bottom, the picture you’ve all been waiting for – our new house!
Liam and I headed downtown on Saturday morning for his first experience at the Omaha Farmers Market. I absolutely love farmers markets, and I’m so pumped that it’s finally that time of year again! PQN9XMTYCENN
We met up with my friend Trisha and strolled by all of the vendors’ tables: fruits, vegetables, herbs, jams and jellies, breads, flowers, jewelry, custom handbags, pies, pastries…you name it, it was there. I was pleasantly surprised by how big the downtown market is this year, and I’m looking forward to dragging Liam along to many more Saturday morning trips there in the coming months!
We also plan to check out the other farmers markets around town once they get going. The new one this year that I’m really stoked about is the one that will be held on Sundays at Aksarben Village starting on May 30. For a complete list of Omaha’s farmers markets, including locations, dates, times and websites, check out this page under the In and Around Omaha section.
If you’ve seen Liam recently, you’ve probably noticed that the kid needs a haircut. Well, I just can’t bring myself to give him a full-fledged haircut just yet…he’s my baby! I refuse! Instead, yesterday I finally gave in and let my mother give him a little trim – not a haircut, just a trim. I must admit, he looks a lot less shaggy.
I hope all you mothers out there had a lovely Mother’s Day! I definitely did – the husband let me sleep in, made me breakfast and then presented me with a gift certificate for a pedicure and the sweetest little card “written” by Liam. Being a mother rocks!